Picture Credit: Leeks Photostream
Lately my time has been spent on developing a business plan for enhancing mobile sales force experience. I was doing research to understand sales people persona, motivation factors and work lifestyle, I stumbled upon Forrester article on 2010 Mobile Trends and related articles to make sales force effective. I realized that Mobile solutions will be key to making our mobile sales force successful.
During this research, what caught my attention is that strategic shift is happening in mobile space and 2010 will be a key transition year for mobile decade. I think Thomas Hussan said it all “A new mobile decade is opening up, and now is the time to start your journey. In the past 10 years, mobile phones have changed the way we communicate and live. In the next 10 years, they will change the way we do business.” What this implies is the next decade everybody will have mobile data access and will become the norm for all users. WOW!
Now imagine how the mobile world will transform in the next 10 years if 2010 is the key transition year. I already feel productive with my current mobile device and I am looking forward to the amazing possibilities how our lives will be transformed.
During this process I learned so much and decided to share my take on 2010 trends in mobile industry. Here are my reflections on some of the changes:
- Everyone needs a mobile strategy in 2010 for the next decade to keep up with the new direction and keep up with the needs.
- Companies of all shapes and sizes as well as governments and local authorities will start integrating mobile solutions into their overall approach, rather than simply launching a few mobile initiatives. Smart partnering with companies that provide mobile solutions will be beneficial.
Now based on my understanding entrepreneurs and product strategists should move away from designing potential new phone to designing new innovative mobile based services that delivers value to consumers. Here are the top 10 trends everyone should consider:
- Trend#1: Mobile DNA needs to instilled : It is time to embed mobile DNA in every conversation. Every entrepreneur or product strategist needs to think about Mobile powered services to deliver value added services, social commerce, mobile advertising and entertainment to consumers.
- Trend#2 : Mobile market is bigger than we can imagine : Mobile is one of the fastest-growing technologies ever. As per Forrestor “in the past eight years, global mobile penetration has grown fivefold — from 12% in 2000 to more than 60% at the end of 2008 — and there are approximately 4 billion subscribers around the world. The US is leading mobile Internet uptake, with about 15% of mobile phone owners using the mobile Internet at least once a month. If as expected, this grows to about 50% in the near future, mobile Internet research will enter a new phase. In Western Europe, at the end of 2009 mobile Internet penetration will reach 17% — the same adoption rate for the PC Internet in 1999 — and will grow to 39% by the end of 2014.”
- Trend #3: Mobile will become integral part of Social interaction : Integrating social networking capability will become a standard phone feature.
- Trend #4: Brand advertising will grow via mobile apps: Brands will use mobile platforms to build their reach.
- Trend#5 : Mobile experience and service innovation is critical : Developing rich media application will be key. Innovation will be accelerated by Mashups, Widgets, and Micro transactions types of services.
- Trend#6 : “Net Neutrality” debate will continue : Operators will likely to play larger role in value chain and may redefine data access pricing.
- Trend#7: Mobile advertising to become the biggest ad platform: Mobile advertising platform will exceed TV and internet by reach and by ad revenues.
- Trend#8: Universal Translation is Common Place: Localization services that help us translate voices and text will be an area for big opportunity. Imagine, if you point the phone at the foreign speaker, your ear piece will simultaneously translate as if you have a personal translator next to you.
- Trend#9: Personal services to become a reality: As content, payments and calendars are integrated, concierge services such as virtual secretary, digital accountant, virtual personal trainers, virtual business managers capabilities will evolve. Imagine a phone that will help run our lives, answer our calls, send messages, order services etc.
- Trend#10 : Business will redefine virtually every internal process : Internal processes will need to be redefined that will leverage wireless access to information, contextual data to create new value and to reduce operating costs .
Here are some thoughful insights that I found:
Mobile Trends 2020
Hope this information was useful to you. Please share your thoughts and feedback onhow mobile trends have changed your business strategies?